Friday, November 2, 2012

Alexander Schimpf

I just attended an awesome concert by German pianist, Alexander Schimpf.  He started with Bach's French Suite No. 5 in G major, BWV 816, Debussy's Images II and L'isle joyeuse.  After the intermission, he played Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata and ended with Liszt's Ballade No. 2 in b minor. 

From the first notes I knew that it was going to be a special concert.  His technique in voicing the Bach was beautiful.  The bass notes were there but the melody was just beautifully more than the accompaniment.  The Debussy was fun as he brought out the story of each of the three pieces.  I especially enjoyed the Poissons d'or as it reminded me of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

The "Moonlight Sonata" was played just as I would have expected it to be.  Beautiful and dynamic.

The Listz was awesome to watch.  It always amazes me when the hands are going so fast they are a blurr.

A beautiful concert to listen to and watch. 

I was able to talk with him afterwards for a few minutes at the reception and he was very personable and humble.

An amazing night with some new friends.

Here's his website:  http://www.alexander-schimpf.de/main_en.html

No comments: